Dental treatments have evolved over the years, and one of the newest advancements in Waxhaw, NC, is the use of Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) in dental care. This treatment is gaining popularity as a minimally invasive solution to tooth decay, especially in children and older adults. In this blog, we will take a closer look at SDF and its benefits in preventing and treating tooth decay.
What is Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF)?
Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is a liquid solution containing 38% silver and 5% fluoride ions that have been used in Japan for decades to manage dental cavities. SDF is applied directly to the surface of the tooth using a brush, cotton applicator, or syringe. The solution penetrates the tooth structure and kills the bacteria responsible for tooth decay, preventing further decay and promoting the remineralization of the affected tooth structure.
SDF has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use as a desensitizer for adults, and in 2014, the American Dental Association (ADA) added SDF to its list of non-invasive caries treatment options.
Benefits of SDF Treatment
- Minimally Invasive Treatment: SDF is a non-invasive, painless, and quick treatment. It does not require any drilling, injections, or anesthesia. SDF can be used in place of traditional cavity treatments like fillings, crowns, or root canals.
- Cost-effective: SDF treatment is cost-effective compared to other treatments for tooth decay, as it requires fewer dental visits and less time in the dental chair.
- High Success Rate: Research has shown that SDF has a high success rate in treating dental caries. It is also effective in preventing further decay and promoting the remineralization of the tooth.
- Safe for Children and Adults: SDF is a safe treatment for both children and adults. It is particularly useful for children who cannot tolerate traditional dental treatments due to anxiety or behavioral issues.
- Provides Long-term Protection: SDF provides long-term protection against tooth decay. Studies have shown that the application of SDF can arrest or slow down the progression of cavities for up to five years.
Who is a candidate for SDF treatment?
SDF treatment is suitable for people of all ages, particularly children and older adults. It is an ideal treatment option for people who have dental anxiety, cognitive or behavioral issues, or medical conditions that make traditional dental treatments difficult.
SDF treatment is particularly useful for:
- Children with primary teeth who are unable to tolerate traditional dental treatments.
- Elderly patients who have a high risk of dental decay due to dry mouth, multiple medications, or limited access to dental care.
- Patients with special needs, cognitive or behavioral issues, or phobias about dental procedures.
Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is a game-changer in the field of dentistry. This minimally invasive treatment is a safe and effective solution for preventing and treating tooth decay in children and adults. SDF treatment is a cost-effective, painless, and quick alternative to traditional dental treatments. If you think you or your child may benefit from SDF treatment, talk to your dentist at Carrington Square Dental about whether this option is right for you. Book an appointment for more information.